Friday, June 14, 2013

Travel Preparations

Only three more days until I leave for Cairo! The last month has flown by in a blur of school, LSAT prep, and preparing for my summer abroad program.

I've gone shopping to buy myself a couple of longer skirts/dresses for days that I need to cover up a bit more. This was surprisingly difficult considering that maxi dresses are in right now. Somehow everywhere I looked, the dresses and skirts were too sheer to cover my legs properly. I finally lucked out at Target, although this means I still need to return some of the not-so-appropriate dresses and skirts that I picked up at other stores. I also figure that anything I don't buy here, I can just buy while I'm in Cairo (and it will probably be more lightweight and weather-appropriate).

I'm nearly done with the administrative aspects of getting ready to go. I got a health clearance back in January but I talked to a doctor last month to make sure I'm safe to travel (big shocker: I'm healthy). Awkwardly, I now have two prescriptions for ciprofloxacin - in case of traveler's diarrhea, fun - and I haven't actually picked up the medication. Plus I missed my window to go to Kaiser today while at work and finishing up a paper. Getting sick will at least make my abroad experience more authentic, I guess? (Why am I trying to put a positive spin on diarrhea?) Other than health stuff, I had to get an international student ID card and figure out communication logistics, such as how to get in touch with family (Face Time, email, and Facebook) and how to get a local phone (I'm using an old phone with a local SIM card, FYI).

Figuring out what to bring has been hard. How many outfits do I actually need? How many pairs of shoes? Which Arabic textbooks/dictionaries should I bring? How many books can I feasibly get through on the 23-hour trip there? I've finally narrowed down my packing list... I think.
Preparations aside, I have yet to actually start packing. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment