Friday, June 28, 2013

Movie Time

It's Friday - the Egyptian weekend is here! - and I just wanted to quickly update you all to say that I saw Monsters University last night! Super cute movie, and it was definitely an interesting cultural experience to go to a movie theater here.

Our professor was only planning to go with her son, but a few other people in our group (including me) really wanted to see the movie so we all ended up tagging along after class. We took a taxi (yet again) to the next island over, Rawdah, which had a theater showing the latest American movies. We bought tickets and 3D glasses, since the movie was 3D and they actually charge you extra for the glasses, and then took our seats. The seats were assigned and we had an actual usher show us where the row was, which was I've never had happen while seeing a movie. There was also an intermission halfway through the movie (it literally stopped mid-sentence, which confused me for a bit) so that people could go out and buy more popcorn or use the restroom. It made sense economically, but I still found an intermission a bit amusing considering the movie was only an hour and a half long.

The movie was very cute, like I said, and it was a lot of fun to read along with the Arabic subtitles on the bottom of the screen. Reminds me of when I used to watch all of my movies with Spanish subtitles during third and fourth year Spanish in high school! The actual dialogue was in English, of course. I loved having another excuse to practice my Arabic, although I guess I could have also eavesdropped on the conversations next to me... considering that a lot of the other patrons talked throughout the movie (and texted, kicked my seat, etc.). Either I was sitting by a rowdy family or theater etiquette is different in Cairo. Oh well - overall I had a lot of fun and it was nice to have a little taste of home again (even if was only an English-language movie)!

No comments:

Post a Comment